Sunday, January 01, 2017

Review: What Breaks a Man?: Sensible Hearts 2

What Breaks a Man?: Sensible Hearts 2 What Breaks a Man?: Sensible Hearts 2 by H.Q. Frost
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a great way to bring in the New Year. HQ Frost has managed to piss me off and satisfy me in one book. I loved Dom and La in What Makes a Man?: Sensible Hearts 1 but damn she left me with one hell of a cliffhanger. This book jumps seven years into the future and it is so worth it. At first, I wasn't sure about the timeline, but once the book gets started, it all makes sense.

Dom is still amazing and he's still trying to prove himself to everyone. But mostly he's trying to prove himself to himself. He's battle with self-doubt while being so self-assured is such a contradiction, but it is so Dom. That probably only makes sense if you've actually read the first book, but trust me when I say he's even better at 25 than he was at 18. Seriously, waaaaaaaaay better.

Nyla is like a dream come true for Dom. She was his answer to everything in What Makes a Man? and she is still his reason for everything in What Breaks a Man?
But La has changed and boy did she piss me off. She isn't the same sweet, naive girl from the first book. She's closed off and hurtful. She hurts Dom at every turn and I just can't understand why. Until I do understand why and the whole freaking book falls into place and makes sense.

This is one of those books that had me messaging those I know who have read it to tell them how upset I was. I was upset with La. I was upset with Dom. I was upset with so much, but I kept going because I knew--I just knew--Frost would fix it all.

And she did. Oh, did she ever make me happy with that ending. So, thank you for an excellent conclusion to an amazing duo. I can't wait to see what else you have in store for me.

View all my reviews

No comments: