Friday, November 11, 2016

Review: Meet Me in the Dark

Meet Me in the Dark Meet Me in the Dark by J.A. Huss
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 Moments are permanent Stars

Hush.

I've read this book before, but when I saw it was on audio I just had to grab it. And it's worth every single minute I spent listening to it to return to the crazy world of Merc.
He owned me, he said. His eyes are burned inot my memory. Cold eyes. Dark eyes. The eyes of a killer who takes no prisoners and never forgets a debt.


Merc. Damn, what can I say about this man that hasn't been said? I'm refusing to read over my original review because this book is just as intense the second time as it was the first. The only difference is I spent the whole time asking myself how these two didn't kill each other before the book was over. Knowing the story, I knew what I wanted to look for while doing this reread. Knowing the story I knew nothing would be the same as it was when I first read it. A second chance gives you a new perspective and that doesn't change with books.
I want Merric Case to desire me so much, he chooses differently. I wan thim to change my life. I want him to take it back.


Merc. There are still only three things you need to know about this man.
Number one. You might be bigger, but I will last longer.
Number two. If you fuck me, I fuck everything you ever loved.
And number three. I never lose. My victory is only delayed.


I don't think there's ever been a better anti-hero then Merric Case. And I've read all of Huss's books. This man, his ability to brainwash and train and manipulate, is all of the things we are taught to run from. But somehow, someway we fall for this man and all he represents. I don't know what kind of sorcery JA Huss uses when she writes her books, but I am a firm believer that if she can make us fall for Merc, she can make us fall for anyone. She's magical.
"Words can be poems, or songs, or gifts. Words can also be threats, lies, and broken promises. You should learn the difference."


And these characters? As evil and manipulative as they are? You still want them to get that HEA. You want them to find themselves while they are finding each other. You want it all to work.

But they don't work they exact way we want them to. They fight, the hurt, the destroy each other.
"When you drove away out there in Montana, you split me in half, Sydney. You said you hoped I felt that pain one day, and I did. I felt it. You ripped my heart out when you drove off and I knew I fucked it all up."




View all my reviews

No comments: